Friday, October 9, 2009

The Inevitable Return of The Great Jeff Deck

He's back!  My hero is back!!  The "Long Silence" is over: Jeff Deck and the Typo Eradication Advancement League have returned.  If you aren't a huge fan of TEAL, you might be a little lost right now.  See, Jeff Deck, disgusted with the declining English skills in our nation, set out across the country fixing typos, grammatical errors, and apostrophes on everything from billboards to business cards.  Then one day, he fixed a typo on a sign at a National Park.  It turned out that the sign was created at the park's birth by a local artist and is irreplaceable.  Jeff was charged with "vandalism" for making America look less retarded and was forced to disappear for a while.  He had to wipe out his website and put up a statement, mandated by the judge, that basically said it was wrong to vandalize signs on public lands without explicit permission.  I was devastated.  Seriously, SO many people are really bad at English and if there are a select few left in the world who can still get it right, they shouldn't be punished, they should be revered.  I wish I could have joined Jeff in his endeavor.  I'm not perfect, but I think I would have been a great asset to his team.  No word on whether or not he plans to continue his cross-country crusade, but he most certainly will continue to find and fix typos everywhere he goes.  So check your store fronts and sale signs carefully...if he's nearby, he will find you.


Jeff isn't the only one on this spell-check mission though.  While in California, I noticed an error on a bottle of Mountain Berry Windex - the tilde was over the wrong "n" in the Spanish translation of "mountain".  I wrote to the nice people at Johnson & Johnson.  They apologized for "any inconvenience this may have caused" me and gave me a coupon for free Windex.  I bet that error didn't get fixed.  Then I was on the Keebler website and noticed they spelled "Cheesecake" wrong.  They had written it as "Chesscake" so I e-mailed them.  They thanked me, fixed the error, and gave me a printable coupon for $1.00 off any Keebler product.  A few months ago, I was following a van down Main Street.  They had a decal in the back window that said, "Next time you think your perfect, try walking on water".  The "you're/your" and the "there, they're, their" misspellings are the most irksome, I think.  Anyway, Jeff is an inspiration to me and if you want to keep up with him, check out the TEAL website at www.jeffdeck.com/teal/ or browse his photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/jeff.deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment