Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Hard Part Is Never Over...

If I can just pass Biochemistry, I'll be alright.

Okay, if I can just get through the MCAT, the rest will be simple.

Really, if I can write a killer personal statement, getting accepted will be easy.

Now, all I have to do is get these secondary applications sent in...

The hard part is never over.  There's always another one waiting for me.  I know becoming a doctor is not something that happens overnight.  I understand that it's an awful lot of work.  I just need to whine a little bit because I'm tired.

I got the grades, I took the MCAT, I wrote a great personal statement.  I submitted my application with confidence to 10 schools and so far, six of them have had the good sense to invite me to fill out secondary applications.  Two of them rejected me.  Two of them have remained silent.  I'm still feeling good and confident, just a tad overwhelmed.  Keeping up with school is fine.  Doing it with a newborn baby is challenging.  Doing all that and actively applying to med school?  That's nearly impossible.  But somehow I press on...

I have procrastinated on the secondary applications for two reasons.  First, they're a lot of work - each one has multiple essays that must be submitted with it and, in some cases, proof of residency applications, photos, etc.  I'm not intimidated by hard work, but many other things have been eating up my time and I haven't had the chance to really sit down and get these things out.  Second, they cost a lot of money.  Each one has a separate fee that must be payed before they will accept your application.  As if I didn't already shell out $408 to submit the primaries.  University of Washington is the cheapest at $35.  The others?  $75 - $100 each.  So either submit applications or pay rent.  Hmm.

On that note, I have submitted one application fully.  I have written the essays for one other school but still need my residency paperwork completed.  Most of these apps aren't due until January (of course if you wait until January, you'll never get in...), but one of them is due this Friday.  I have two essays to write for it and instead, I'm blogging.  It's just easier.  I work better under pressure anyway.  Hey, that's why I'm gonna make a great E.R. doctor, right?  :)  Just practicing...

When I first set out to apply to med school, I wanted to go to University of Washington.  I didn't even have a desire to apply anywhere else.  Clearly that isn't wise though, so I asked for some advice and came up with all these other schools to apply to.  When you're filling out secondaries though, most of the essays are school-specific, so then I found myself actually having to research these places to try and respond appropriately.  This is actually a good thing.  I have learned so much!  In fact, I decided that Creighton University School of Medicine is the place that fits me best so far.  I think I'll be pretty upset if I don't at least get an interview (that's the next step, by the way - if they like my secondary, I get an interview.  If they like my interview, I get accepted).

Sometimes I find myself thinking,

"If I can just get through the secondary apps, the hard part will be over..."

But no, it won't.  Because the hard part is NEVER over.

No comments:

Post a Comment